f g i & 5 History of Assembly Park
HISTORY OF ASSEMBLY PARK

-☛ 1840's - The Mabies purchased Assembly Park in 1847 & later their heirs sold to the Delavan Lake Assembly Association.

-☛ 1890's - Delavan Lake Assembly Association in 1898. was formed by a group of Delavan business men.

-☛ 1900's - Delavan Lake Assembly Association in 1898. was formed, after the land was purchased from the Mabie heirs.

-☛ 1910's - Assembly Park was noted for its annual Chautauqua type programs featuring nationally known lectures

-☛ 1920's - Assembly Park's first fire house 1920's

-☛ 1930's - 8 cottages burned down, new new park benches, a new concrete boat ramp, new concrete curbs were all added.

-☛ 1940's - The first Arbor Day was held, "My Brother's Place" was opened.

-☛ 1950's - Gail Reece, the caretaker at the park, the Children's Thursday Night Dances started.

-☛ 1960's - Seventy Ladies from Assembly Park, traveled to the Playboy Club, as part of the Arbor Day celebration.

-☛ 1970's - Construction of the Delavan Lake Sanitary District began as well as the construction of Route 15 , now Router 43.

-☛ 1980's - The lake Level was dropped to save the lake. Rob Mohr was hired as Caretaker of the Park.

-☛ 1990's - 100 years anniversary, water system was turned off, new playground equipment and new park benches were installed.

-☛ 2000's - Assembly Park.com was created, the beach Wall was painted.

-☛ 2010's - The new roads were approved and installed.

Click on this symbol ( -☛ ) for additional information.

Below is a brief overview of the history of the Park along with links on more details for each period. For additional information please click on the year to the right.
Did you know....

- Many years ago when only a few people (not a cell phone but a land line) had a phone the caretaker, at the time, would take phone messages and deliver them to the cottage, day and night.

- On the 4th of July people in the park would purchase fireworks which would be lunched at the end of the beach pier, this was in the day Fireworks were not illegal, in the park, as they are today.

- On the 4th people would bring there lawn chairs and blankets to the park to watch the fireworks, this was also the one weekend which permitted "sleeping out" in the Big Park.

- According to the Articles of Incorporation of the Delavan Assembly, "the business and purpose of the organization shall be to maintain and conduct an annual educational assembly for the dissernination of knowledge and morality by means of lectures, sermons, music and other classes in accordance with the general plan and purpose of the Chautauqua Assembly movement."

Below is some early history of the area and some general historical photos from the Park over the years. Be sure to check out the various events that made up the history of Assembly Park (above).

The first humans known to inhabit the Delavan area were Native Americans around the era of 1000BC. Later, between 500-1000 AD, Mound Builders lived in what is now the Delavan Lake area. Mound Builders were of the Woodland culture. The effigy mounds they erected along the shores of Delavan

In 1978, the Great Lakes Archaeological Research Center determined that early Paleo-Indians occupied this area as early as 5000 B.C. This was followed by Archaic Indians, Woodland Indians and then mound builders.

Members of the Potawatomi tribe had a small encampment in the area for a short time, marked by a plaque that was dedicated July 12, 1925 by the Delavan Women's Club.

A 1909 survey counted six conical mounds, a 20-by-50-foot oval mound and one shaped like a dumbbell.

Three of the conical mounds remain, although they have been partially destroyed.

In the 1800s, the area was part of Samuel and Henry Phoenix's temperance colony.

The Indian mounds, there are at least 159 mounds, were built around Delavan Lake, by the Indians who are referred to today as Effigy Mounds Builders, probably before 1000 A.D. One was excavated and showed a construction in layers, cobblestone, gravel, fine white sand, blue clay, the bodies facing the lake, soil/clay mixture, then a fire apparently on top of baked clay. Archeologists who excavated and documented mounds in the area in 1911 increases the respect of the mounds. Early construction in the Park have destroyed many of the mounds. In 1925, the Delavan Women's Club, placed a marker near the mounds. In 1975 the maker was replaced by the current marker.

Lake numbered well over 200, according to an archeological survey done in the late 1800's by Beloit College. Many were along the north shore of the lake where Lake Lawn Resort now stands. The Potawotomi Indians also settled around the lake in the late 18th century, although there were only an estimated 240 in the county. Some of their burial mounds are preserved in what is now Assembly Park.
Stacks Image 10795
My Brothers Place - "The White Store" - or the little store, for many the first time their parents let them walk to the store and buy something on their very own. Picture above Vi Mulder was the last proprietor of the store.
Stacks Image 10797
Stacks Image 10806
A very large version of this sign was used to direct people to what is now known as Assembly Park.
For more than 70 years Delavan Lake area was widely known for its summer resorts and hotels, most of which contained ballrooms or dance pavilions. At one time there were probably more ballrooms per capita on Lake Delavan than any other location in American. No wonder why there is still a Thursday night dance.
A special thanks to Gerri Kernes, Kate Herron and Kathy Griffin for sharing the an article with the history of Assembly Park.

references:
1 Source 2 Source 3 Source 4 Source 5 Source 6 Source 7 Source
The Town of Delavan History - Between the years of 1800 and 1836 the Delavan area was part of the Indiana Territory, followed by the Illinois Territory, finally becoming part of the Wisconsin Territory in 1836. Statehood was granted in 1848. Delavan's first white settlers arrived in 1836, a man from the Rockford, Illinois area named Allen Perkins. Arriving in the spring of that year, he built a log cabin for his family at the base of the hill along what is now Walworth Ave.

That same summer, two brothers from New York arrived in Chicago with the intention of starting a temperance colony. Samuel and Henry Phoenix were hoping to form a settlement "pledged to temperance, sobriety and religion" according to the writings in Samuel's journal. They traveled north of Chicago in search of the most desirable spot to settle. After traveling around this area and finding nothing to their liking, Henry returned to New York and Samuel (his grandson J.J. Phonix, was the founder of Assembly Park, J.J. Phonix spoke at the second annual Arbor Day celebration, in 1941) continued the search. Samuel discovered what is now the Delavan area (Delavan was named after
Edward C. Delavan, temperance leader in Albany, New York. more information) after spending a night in an abandoned Potawotomi wigwam. He later met Perkins and Perkins two brothers-in-law as they were traveling the same route to Spring Prairie to get provisions. They all returned to Delavan the next day. Samuel Phoenix stayed with the Perkins family until his provisions arrived from Racine.

Phoenix was a successful businessman in New York and staked many claims in the Delavan settlement. It wasn't long before he and the Perkins family were at odds over the naming of the colony. The Perkins had filed for the settlement to be named "Wilksbarre", but the postmaster who received the request and was to have forwarded it to Washington for approval was a friend of Phoenix and returned it instead.

Phoenix was joined in Delavan by relatives and they soon outnumbered the Perkins clan. Phoenix then filed the name of Delavan with the Belmont Legislature. Born in 1793, Edward C. Delavan, whose surname the city now bears, was a temperance leader in New York State. Edward C. Delavan, temperance leader in Albany, New York.
more information. He never saw the town that carries his name. He died in 1871. Phoenix also filed the name of Walworth County, taking the name from Chancellor Rueben Walworth, past president of the New York Temperance League.

Perkins eventually moved from Delavan and Phoenix then took over his claims. Before long, Phoenix held claims on most of the area. The settlement was touted as a great temperance colony to those in New England and many came west to settle here. Most new settlers were successful farmers, good businessmen and financially secure. The majority of them traveled here via steamers on the Great Lakes and came west from their landing in Racine by wagon. Most stayed with Phoenix until their own cabins were built. He had also established the first general store in town. Land sold for $1.35 an acre and was primarily used for agriculture. Wheat crops were the most predominate and brought a good cash flow to the farmers.

The Town of Delavan History - Members of the Potawatomi tribe lived along the shores of Lake Delavan when a treaty was signed, in Chicago, on September 26, 1833, ceding these lands to the U.S. Government, following the Blackhawk war.
1840's
1847 - The Town of Delavan History - Between 1847 and 1894, Delavan was home to 26 circus companies. The Mabie Brothers U.S. Olympic Circus, then the largest in America, arrived in 1847, to become the first circus to quarter in the territory of Wisconsin. Its famous rogue elephant, "Romeo", stood 19½ feet high, and weighed 10,500 pounds. The original P.T. Barnum Circus was organized in Delavan in 1871 by William C. Coup and Dan Costello. Over 130 members of Delavan's 19th century circus colony are buried in Spring Grove and St. Andrew cemeteries.

Assembly Park history - prior to 1898 Assembly Park, at time time was called, "Mabiewood" was a densely forested area.

Edmund and Jeremiah Mabie, began wintering in Delavan in 1847 and bought land around the lake, and purchased the Lake Lawn Lodge in 1847, deciding Delavan would be a perfect to board their U.S. Olympic Circus for the winter. This purchased , allowing the Mable circus to be the first to call Wisconsin home. In the same year Edmund and Jeremiah Mabie purchased Assembly Park in 1847 and later their heirs sold the 38 acre tract to the Delavan Lake Assembly Association in 1898. They began wintering in Delavan in 1847 and bought land around the lake.
Stacks Image 11327
Fred and Blache Cevene, Fred is on the far right (above) both were circus acrobats, with P.T. Barnum, who made at least 17 property purchases in Assembly Park.
Stacks Image 11331
Above - Fred and Blache Cevene, built a cottage around 1920 at 1400 Indian Trail, in Assembly Park. Below see where 1400 Indian Trail in the Park.
1890's
By 1895, John Jay Phoenix organized a club of 12 Delavan citizens under the name, The Junto. The name comes for a club established in 1727 by Benjamin Franklin for mutual improvement in Philadelphia. The group met monthly to discuss literature, science and music.

The Delavan Lake Assembly Association in 1898. was formed by a group of Delavan business men, who purchased the land from the Mabie heirs, 38-acre plot to the Delavan Lake Assembly Association for $15,000. There were a total of 300 shares of capital stock issued at $100 a share (see photo of a stock certificate below). The aim of the association was to enable the moral, intellectual and physical welfare of its members. Based on the religious principles the association banned the use of alcohol and dancing on the premises.

On Jan. 25, 1898, they formed a committee to study the feasibility of presenting a Chautauqua-like program. Modeled after activities at the
Chautauqua Institution of western New York, these large, public adult-education programs were highly popular in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

The group organized under the name Delavan Lake Assembly Association and got permission from Mabies' heirs to use Mabiewood for their first Chautauqua in 1898. The officers were William A. Cochrane, president; John Jay Phoenix (grandson of the founder of the Town of Delavan), vice president; Edward F. Williams, treasurer and Grant D. Harrington, secretary.

The first session of the program was held July 25 to Aug. 3, 1898. Season tickets cost $2.50, and meals could be purchased for 25 cents. Transportation was available form Delavan to the Assembly grounds for 10 cents. Campers were encouraged to use the site for summer programs and a large dinning hall (photo below) served on the average of 2,000 meals a day at .40 cents each.
*Chautauqua (pronounced /ʃəˈtɔːkwə/ in the IPA; or, in informal US transcription, "sha- TAW- kwa") is an adult education movement in the United States, highly popular in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Chautauqua assemblies expanded and spread throughout rural America until the mid-1920s. The Chautauqua brought entertainment and culture for the whole community, with speakers, teachers, musicians, entertainers, preachers and specialists of the day. (From Wikipedia)
Stacks Image 11443
Delavan Lake Assembly was one of the more than 160 "daughters Chautauquas" that operated throughout the country around the turn of the century. They stressed that education could be pursed in a relaxed atmosphere and combined with entertainment.

Between 1898 and 1914 Assembly Park was noted for its annual
Chautauqua* type programs featuring nationally known lectures in the fields of literature, science, religion, politics, music and entertainment. Most of the years the programs were held in the Assembly auditorium, opened in 1899, which seated 3,500.

The auditorium (seen below) was constructed for the second Delavan Chautauqua Assembly in 1899 at a cost of $3,500. It attracted up to 3,000 people a day during the two week sessions that began in late July. As more cottages were built , however the large summer crowds were not welcomed by residents. Attendance start to decline as alternative activities gain popularity. The last Chautauqua Assembly was held in 1914. On August 21, 1919, the auditorium burn to the ground, due to the crossing of electrical wires.

Stacks Image 11447
The dates of the first Assembly were July 26, through August 3, 1898. The Delavan Lake Assembly became a legal entity on August 12, 1898. The building above was completed for the 1899 session which featured Jane Addams of Hull House and many other speakers. The 1900 session included William Jennings Bryant. Programs included lectures on religion, politics, science, literature, music, and the arts. Sporting events, especially water sports were organized. Delavan Lake Assembly (1899 to 1919)
Stacks Image 11451

Delavan Assembly Park Auditorium (above), faced the lake, was described as a round building with wooden benches and a sawdust floor.

Stacks Image 11455
Above is a copy of a stock certificate for share 3 issued by J.J. Phoenix October 18, 1898. The 38 acre parcel of property, know at the time as Mabiewood was purchased for $15,000 from heirs of the Mabie Family. The Assembly Park charter provided for issuance of 300 shares of stock at the par value of $100. Each stock carried a 99 year lease on a lot. 149 certificates were issued in the first year. By 1902 there were only 30 lots available. A ledger book recording the names of owners of each property was updated until 1976. The ledger provides information for ownership history of various cottages. Below is stock from 1974.
Stacks Image 11459
Stacks Image 11461
1899 - Dinning Hall - Severed up to 3,000 people, three times a day. The Dinning Hall was remodeled and added to over the years. This building burned downed in 1947 and replaced with a Quonset hut, served as a neighborhood grocery store and gathering place for many years.
1900's
  • By 1901, the Assembly programs were known throughout the Midwest for their outstanding 10-day sessions.
  • Delavan Lake Assembly Association, sold lots by 1903 over 50 cottages had been erected.
  • In 1904, William Jennings Bryant was featured and spoke to a crowd of 4,000. Chautauqua programs were held in the 3,500-seat Assembly auditorium between 1898 and 1914.
  • Two-week sessions were held in late July and early August.
  • After the turn of the century, lots were sold, and by 1903, more than 50 cottages had been built.
  • In 1903, cottage owners objected to plans to build a barn to house the horses of people attending the Chautauquas*. They thought the stench of the manure would be overpowering.
  • Crowding continued to be a problem, and in 1914 the programs were suspended.
  • They began again for a short time, and featured speakers like former President William Howard Taft, who spoke in Aug. 1919 on the League of Nations, according to the Delavan Republican newspaper.
  • In 1909, electricity was arrives in Assembly Park.
  • Click here to see some documents from 1901 and 1902. Remember to double click on the image to see the full image.
Stacks Image 11539
Birdseye view (above) of how the park looked approximately in, 1903, when it was said there were fifty cottages. The auditorium, dining hall and water tower were at the top of the park. There was a path that ran along the shore.
Stacks Image 11543
The Snyder/Bestul family has resided here from the beginning. The above photo was of the house built in 1906 at 1119 N. Gazebo. This house seems to be one in the "Birdseye View" drawing (top photo) drawing from 1903.
Stacks Image 3732
1910's
  • Campers were encouraged to use the site for summer programs and a large dinning hall served on the average of 2,000 meals a day at .40 cents each.
  • Lots were sold by the association and by 1903 over 50 cottages had been erected.
  • By 1913, more cottages were built, including year round homes, drawing large crowds in the summer. In 1914 the annual events were discontinued.
  • Between 1898 and 1914 Assembly Park was noted for its annual Chautauqua type programs featuring nationally known lectures in the fields of literature, science, religion, politics, music and entertainment. Most of the years the programs were held in the Assembly auditorium, opened in 1899, which seated 3,500.
  • The end of the Chautauqua era came Aug. 21, 1919, when crossing of electrical wires started an electrical fire which destroyed the auditorium. The building had been valued at $20,000, but was only insured for $2,000.
The auditorium (below) constructed for the second Delavan Chautauqua Assembly in 1899 at a cost of $3,500, was used for storage until destroyed by fire in 1919.
Stacks Image 11638
To the right is a column from the program of the last Delavan Lake Assembly Chautauqua held in 1914.
Stacks Image 11643
1920's
Stacks Image 11661

Assembly Park's first fire house, photo taken in 1920's.

1930's
1934 - On April 27, 1934 - eight cottages, on South Gazebo Drive, burned down, in the park, left over leaves from the fall allowed the fire to spread.

Mid 1930's - A flurry of improvements occurred, during this period, Park benches with cement ends, were added to the parks and beach. A total of 16 benches were purchased at the cost of $150. These were later replaced in 1998.

1935 - A new flag pole was dedicated.

1935 - The President's report mentioned "the old and unsightly toilet building on block F has been moved to the west side of the park, near the water tank (which has since been removed.) and will be used for storage purposes."

1938 - Hilltop Park, formerly known as "Block B", was to be made into a park.

1935 - The concrete boat ramp was installed in 1935. The ramp affords boat owners easy access to the lake and the storm water drainage for a three hill street. The above photo is a view of Lincoln Avenue from the lake.
Stacks Image 11807
Stacks Image 11810
Stacks Image 11812
1938 - Motorized boats must have attracted considerable attention when they first appeared on the lake. This one might have been a Thompson with 5 h.p. motor. Paul Shives (Dorothy Radford's uncle) piloted one of the earliest power boat on the lake.
Stacks Image 11816
1930's - Charles Flint installed half of the curbs in the park using the above concrete mixer on a Model T truck. This photo was taken out in front of 1609 Monroe. The Flint Family's connections to Assembly Park spans four generations. The Flint's owned and rented cottages. They constructed curbs, rented boats with motors and without motors, and they even sold worms. They ran a boat livery from about 1933-1932. It is safe to say, if a Chicago paper was available, for delivery to the park, the Flints would have delivered papers as well.
Stacks Image 11822

Charlie Flint - Boats for Rent, both power and not power boats.

Stacks Image 11827
Jim Flint - (above) was caretaker of Assembly Park around 1915. Bob Flint, Jim's grandfather, and his wife Pat, has lived in the park for over 23 years and has served on the Park board.
Stacks Image 11845
1940's
1940 September - The first annual Arbor Day celebration was held and continues to this day!

1941 September - J.J. Phonix, was the founder of Assembly Park, J.J. Phonix spoke at the second annual Arbor Day celebration, in 1941

1942 - Mr. and Mrs. Tuckwoods purchase the cottage owned by Fred and Blache Cevene and acted as a rental agent for cottages around the park for many years. The Zagone family purchased California Cottage and Hollywood apartment from the Tuckwoods estate in 1971.

1947 - Dinning Hall burns down - Built in 1899, Severed up to 3,000 people, three times a day. This building burned downed in 1947 and replaced with a Quonset hut, served as a neighborhood grocery store and gathering place for many years.
Stacks Image 11929
Georgann Inn - Above is letterhead from the Inn, below is the photo of the Inn. Owned and operated by George and Anna Hatch. It ad rooms for rent and a small grocery store. The Inn was destroyed by fire in 1947. The Hatch's also owned a cottage, located at 1201 Evergreen, which George and Anna called Georgann and was sold in 1952.
Stacks Image 11933
Shortly after the Georgann Inn burned down, in 1947, the War World II quonset hut was built (see below). The building named, "My Brother's Place" (Click here to see a video) served as a small grocery store and had a breakfast and lunch counter.
Stacks Image 3724
1950's
1956 - Gail Reece, the caretaker at the park from 1956-1980 and passed away in 2017. Was an appointed police officer and a member of the volunteer fire department. He also picked up garbage through out the park twice a week, at one time using an open truck that was tramped down by foot. Gail was seriously injured while working on a sewer line in 1978. He stayed on as caretaker while the sewer line was installed during the years 1979 to 1980 and then retired to Texas where he lives with his wife Norma.

1950's Early - the concrete retaining wall at the beach was built to protect the bluff and hold the sand.
Stacks Image 12054
Stacks Image 12056
Stacks Image 12060

July 16, 1964 from the Delavan Enterprise

1960's
Stacks Image 12132
1968 - Arbor Day - 70 ladies, from Assembly Park, traveled to the Playboy Club, in Lake Geneva, for a luncheon on September 21, 1968. This was part of the Arbor Day celebration presumably. No report where the men of the Park went.
Stacks Image 12136
A new "refrigerated" drinking fountain installed in the park for those hot summer days and evenings. Donated by John and Gwenn Purcell in memory of their parents.
1970's
1976 - July 4th - Fireworks - someone threw tear gas into the crowd at the city's firework's show.

1976 - Wisconsin 15 (currently named Interstate 43 , name changed in 1988) is completed. Running through Delavan from Milwaukee to Beloit.

1979 - Start of construction of the Delavan Lake Sanitary District collection system around the lake and the WALCOMET wastewater treatment facility
Stacks Image 12195
The Delavan Lake Sanitary District was created in 1969 to operate and maintain a wastewater collection system serving properties adjacent to and surrounding Delavan Lake. Since 1997 the District has been responsible for the Aquatic Plant Management Program for Delavan Lake as well as various lake monitoring projects and studies in cooperation with Wisconsin DNR and USGS. Since 1995 DLSD has assisted the Town of Delavan in the monitoring lake levels and operation of the Delavan Lake (Borg) Dam facilities.
1980's
1980 - Gail Reece, the caretaker at the Park from 1956-1980, retires.

1980 - Sewer Project Started in 1979 these photos are from 1980, along Lincoln Avenue in the Park.
Stacks Image 12355
Stacks Image 12358
Stacks Image 12362
Stacks Image 12399
Stacks Image 12366
Stacks Image 12369
1981 - The construction of DLSD sanitary sewer collection system around the lake was completed.

1989 - Rob Mohr hired as the new caretaker of the Park, and currently is the Park's caretaker.

1989 - The lake Level was dropped to save the lake, in September 1989. When the water was dropped you could walk across the bay from Assembly park to Lake Lawn's golf course.
To see more photos
click here

Here what the Tribune wrote about it...

"DELAVAN, WIS. — It`s not shallow enough to reveal the bones of Juliet the elephant. But six weeks of massive pumping have dropped Lake Delavan`s level 10 feet in one of the broadest water-rehabilitation projects ever undertaken, environmental officials say.

Stacks Image 12376

Rob Mohr, Caretaker of the Park

With the water down to a level where it is cost-effective to apply a toxic substance, hundreds of thousands of carp and buffalo fish will be killed next week to restore ecological balance to the 2,072-acre Delavan Lake.

That`s only part of a $5.5 million local, state and federal program to rehabilitate the lake and its surrounding watershed, and to prevent it from returning to its polluted state. About $3.7 million of that is coming from local taxpayers. There are 2,200 cottages on Delavan Lake, roughly half of them owned by Illinois residents."

Here is a link to the complete
Tribune storyThe dropping of the lake level was dropped 10 feet, exposed the concrete cribs used to hold the piers in place. No fishing signs were posted until 1992. This was a joint project of the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resource, the City of Delavan, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and the Delavan Lake Sanitary District, the lake was chemically treated, killing all the fish. Fish were restocked in 1990 and 1991.

As of November 2007, the lake is
still need of attention. For additional information please see this link to the Delavan Lake Improvement Association.
Stacks Image 12401
1990's
1990 - The first and last issues of the Assembly Bark or the Barker were published on a bi weekly basis. The Assembly Bark, or "the Barker" was a bi weekly newsletter published in 1990. Below are the historic first and last issues of The Barker. The Assembly Bark only had two issues. The Assembly Bark covered recent and upcoming events, weddings, news of the time, APYC updates, movie reviews and much more.

1990-1991 - The Lake was restocked with fish in 1990 and 1991, the lake Level was dropped to save the lake 1989.

Stacks Image 3734
1995 June - At the Annual meeting voted to discontinued Park Water system due to the deterioration of the water system. It was determined it would cost each owner more than the cost of a new individual well to make the necessary repairs to the park water system, October 1999 was when the water was turned off.

1997 - The Gazebo near the beach was replaced, with funds raised by the Assembly Park Ladies Auxiliary. "Memory Bricks", inscribed with the names of loved ones, were purchased for $50 each, and placed near the entrances of the gazebo.

1997 - Asphalt paths, both the south and north paths, to the park's beach were completed.1997 - The caretaker's house received a facelift with a new paint job.

1998 - Assembly Park celebrated the Centennial Year

1998 - New playground equipment was completed

1998 - New park benches were installed replacing the benches installed in early 1930's.

1998 - The caretaker's house received a new roof.

1999 October - The park water system was turned off and discontinued.

Stacks Image 12536
Stacks Image 4565
The Assembly Bark, or "the Barker" was a bi weekly newsletter published back in 1990. Below are the historic first and last issues of The Barker. The Assembly Bark only had two issues.

The Assembly Bark covered recent and upcoming events, weddings, news of the time, APYC updates, movie reviews and much more.
Stacks Image 12546
Stacks Image 12557
2000's
2001 March - Assembly Park.com was created

2001 OCTOBER - The final annual Tim O’Connor Memorial Golf Outing held on September 29, 2001 was a tremendous success with the most players (many from Assembly Park) and the best weather. Over the 11 years, the total amount raised is over $55,000.00.dollars. Proceeds benefit the University of Chicago Cancer Research Center. Mrs. Dorothy O’Connor and her family thank everyone for their support throughout the years.

2002 - Assembly Hall Remodeled - Photos

2003 -
Beach Wall Painted - Photos

2003 - Work started on North Shore Drive to expands a lane in each direction - Photos
Stacks Image 3527
Stacks Image 12656
Stacks Image 12653
Stacks Image 12658
Stacks Image 12665
Stacks Image 12662
APYC
Members of Assembly Park hold sailing races on Sundays. At the end of the season they have the Labor Day Regatta. On Labor Day, APYC Cup is awarded to the overall winner of the season. Names of all the past winners are on this Cup, not quite the Stanley Cup but give it time!
Stacks Image 9924
Stacks Image 9927

Photos are from 2005 and 2003
Click for APYC Photos from 2004

Stacks Image 9933
Stacks Image 9936
Stacks Image 9939
Stacks Image 9942
Stacks Image 9945
2010's
2010 March - Mulligan's Sports Pub and Grill (the former Ralph's Steak House) - burns down

2010 Fall - the baseball diamond gets a facelift. The base paths are leveled out. Thanks Rob!

2011 July - First ever "Yoga in the Park" the Saturday of July 4th weekend.

2011 - AssemblyPark.com was redesigned

2013 May - Lake levels very close if not at records levels.

2013 July - "Yoga in the Park" the Saturday of July 4th weekend.

2013 Sept. - The New Roads for the Park are approved.

2013 Nov. - The Road project starts in the Park Photos of the new road Dec 2013

2014 May - Children Dances are moved from Thursday nights to Friday Nights.

2014 August - Web Cam was installed

2014 September - AssemblyPark.com was redesigned

2015 July - First Assembly Park Garage Sale

2015 July - Playground equipment gets a fresh coat of paint

2015 August - “Yoga in the Park”

2015 August - on August 2nd a strong storm rolled through the park Photo of the aftermath

2015 November - new street lights were added Photo of the new and old street lights

2016 March - Delavan Lake Assembly received the State of Wisconsin, Engineering Excellence Award, for 2016, from the American Council of Engineering Companies, for our new permeable paver roads. Our President, Dr. Michael Connolly and our Caretaker, Rob Mohr received the award, on March 18th, at the American Club Resort, Kohler, Wisconsin.
Stacks Image 79559
2016 March - Rob Mohr & Dr. Michael Connolly.
Stacks Image 12728
Stacks Image 79557
2016 March - The award, which will be on display, in Assembly Hall
Stacks Image 79555
2016 March - Rob Mohr (standing), Rachel Tranel (Collins Engineering, our project Engineer), Dr. Michael Connolly, Eric & Anne Weishaar (Prairie Tree Landscaping, our Contractor) seated, Danielle Mohr and Devin Connolly
Stacks Image 6232
August 2015 - Yoga in the Park
Stacks Image 79613
Spring of 2017 - Beach Shower

2016 June - The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources has confirmed the presence of blue-green algae in Delavan Lake, a condition that poses health threats for those who use the lake

2017 May - New shower installed at the Beach - Frank Lloyd Wright style

2017 July - Bingo Night was retired - It was fun while it lasted.

2017 August 4th - a high temperature of 67 degrees, in August!

2017 September 20th-24th - a high temperature of 90+ degrees, in late September!


Stacks Image 79608
Today, the Assembly Park subdivision is home to 210 houses / cottages, of which about 50 are year-round homes, a total of 213 leaseholders.